What’s Happening in Teen Programs:
QUASARS TO SEA STARS
What is QUASARS TO SEA STARS?
Quasars to Sea Stars is a science work-study program where students work closely with educators and scientists to learn about the natural world, including entomology, zoology, astronomy, marine biology, and anthropology. Students learn important life skills such as public speaking, computer competency, resume writing, and leadership.
After completing 60 hours of community service, students are eligible to become paid staff members, working with Museum scientists and professionals in a variety of departments.
WHAT STUDENTS WILL DO OVER 4 YEARS:
- Take museum and science classes
- Hike, camp, snorkel, and kayak
- Teach the public and kids about science
- Explore careers in science with experts like marine biologists
- Earn community service hours
- Volunteer at fun events
- Be a paid employee at the Museum and Sea Center
- Have lots of fun and make friends
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
- You need to be interested in science and nature, reliable, motivated to learn, and committed, with a minimum 2.5 G.P.A.
- You must be in 8th grade and attend a school in the Santa Barbara School District
- Applications are available below and at the Museum
- Selected applicants will have interviews in May
The 2013 application period is now closed. The next application period will be Winter/Spring 2014.
General Application Materials:
- Quasar Quest - recent teen newsletter
- View our photo slideshow and video.
The slideshow gives a sample of the activties we do during the summer. The video features our former Teen Programs Manager and program alumni talking about Quasars to Sea Stars.
QUASARS TO SEA STARS IS A FOUR YEAR COMMITMENT! YEAR-ROUND COMMITMENT REQUIRED.
- Summer Commitment
Minimum of 25 hours per week, cannot miss more than 1 week each summer (through the four years of the program) Summer 2013 commitment: June 17–August 11
- School Year Commitment
October–June (through all four years of high school)
Minimum of 20 hours per month
Contact Marla Ranelletti, Teen Programs Manager, at (805) 682-4711 ext. 172 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Need to get your community service hours completed? Volunteer at the Museum and Sea Center!
Museum: Rebecca Coulter Fagan, Volunteer Manager (805) 682-4711 ext. 170 or email@example.com
Sea Center: Stephanie Sanchez, Volunteer Manager (805) 962-2526 ext. 104 or firstname.lastname@example.orgThank you to our generous supporters:
Lyn and David Anderson