Hours: Tuesday/Thursday 1:00–5:00 PM, Wednesday 2:00-6:00 PM
What is the Nature Collection?
The Nature Collection is an educational loan service that offers a wide array of resource materials for educators to use in their classrooms.
What can be borrowed?
- Taxidermy mounts of mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians
- Marine life specimens
- Bird nests and eggs
- Geology and paleontology specimens
- Animal skeletons, bones, and skins
- Chumash Indian artifact reproductions
- Curriculum kits
- Books and other media focusing on natural history topics
Who can use the program?
The Nature Collection Memberships are available to teachers, librarians, and other educators.
How much does a membership cost?
One-year memberships are available at the following rate:
- Individual membership $60.
- Full school membership $300. ($150 for schools with 10 or fewer teachers)
(Must include staff roster and names of parents entitled to pick up/return items)
How does the Membership work?
- Members may check out materials on a first-come, first serve basis. No reservations or holds except on the day member intends to check out item.
- Each member may check out up to 8 items* for TWO WEEKS. Overdue fines: $1 per item, per day. (* 4 mounted specimens and 2 curriculum kits max per checkout, plus unlimited number of books)
- Checkout and return of items are the personal responsibility of the member. Overdue, lost or damaged items will incur additional fees.
How do I join?
Complete the Membership Application and return it with the appropriate membership fee to:
- Nature Collection
Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
2559 Puesta del Sol
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
For more information: (805) 682-4711 ext 122