Quasars to Sea Stars
Quasars to Sea Stars is a three year work-study-volunteer program for high school teens. Participants take Museum classes and learn from professional scientists; volunteer in the community, and at the Museum & Sea Center events. Upon completion of 60 hours of volunteer service, Quasars also get paid as Museum employees for specific work shifts.
Applications are due April 27, 2018.
- Recommendation form - Teacher (Download Here) - Required
- Recommendation form - Parent (Download Here) - Optional but Recommended
- Copy of your most recent report card or transcript
A year in the life of a Quasar includes:
- Spring and summer camping trips to places around California such as the Channel Islands and the Sierras.
- Field trips that include fun activities like hiking, kayaking, and snorkeling.
- Teaching others and giving public presentations on scientific concepts.
- Creating innovative programs for the public.
- Exploring careers related to science, nature, and museums with curators and other Museum professionals.
- Earning community service hours.
- Forging bonds with other local teens.
- Having a blast!
Minimum Requirements and Commitments:
- Must be a current 8th or 9th grader or equivalent in age, to apply
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA
- School year: 20 hours per month
- Summer: 25 hours per week
- Reliable and motivated
QUASARS is a big commitment: All participants are expected to remain active in the program year-round until graduation. Summers are intensive. The school year is more flexible, but be prepared to commit some time to the program on a weekly basis.
QUASARS is about science and nature: This program is designed to bring students into contact with scientists, naturalists, museum professionals, college programs, organizations, events, and other opportunities in the science community.
QUASARS is a job: After you complete an established number of community service hours at the Museum, you are eligible to become a Museum employee! Some paid shifts focus on scientific research while others show you the ins and outs of running a museum.
QUASARS is fun! Of course it's not all work and no play. Quasars go on unique field trips, explore the region, volunteer at festivals, become a part of the Museum and Sea Center community, make lasting friends, and discover their own amazing potential!
2017-2018 Program Dates:
- Applications are due April 27, 2018.
- Interview for new Quasars: May 5,2018
- Program Orientation: June 18-23, 2018
- Summer Dates: June 18-August 11, 2018
- School Year Dates: mid-September through end of May.
- Breaks: 1 month at beginning of academic school year, 2 weeks in winter, 1.5 weeks in June
For more information about Teen Programs: Contact Jenna Rolle, Teen Programs Manager at email@example.com or 805-682-4711 ext. 172.