VILLAIN: Pet Poop
Dog poop left in neighborhoods and parks is dangerous to marine animals. Water from rain and garden hoses carries dog poop into storm drains and eventually to the ocean. Bacteria from dog poop makes ocean water unhealthy. Shellfish like scallops, clams, and mussels filter this water to find food. High levels of bacteria make these animals sick. Other animals that eat shellfish, including humans, can get sick too. High levels of bacteria from dog poop also make the ocean unsafe for swimming.
SOLUTION: Pooper Scoopers
It is always important to use a method of cleaning up after your pet that is creek and ocean friendly – at home and while on a walk.
- All waste should be scooped and placed in the trash.
- Always carry a plastic bag with you. Carry as many as you and your dog need!
- Commercial “scoopers” can also be purchased to make proper disposal of pet waste easier. Some are disposable and available with biodegradable, sealable bags.
- Dogs can be trained to “take care of business” at the beginning of a walk so you can dispose of the waste right away.
- Encourage your cat to use the litter box inside and out.
- Keep the litter box clean so that your cat will prefer it to the garden.
- Dispose of the waste in the trash.
Horse Waste: Nutrients in horse manure can fertilize aquatic plants, making them grow at an unnatural rate, which takes oxygen away from other aquatic life, and causes the aquatic life to die.
- Place manure and bedding in a sturdy, insect resistant, leak proof container:
- Plastic garbage cans with lids
- Fly-tight wooden or concrete storage sheds
- Pits or trenches lined with an impermeable layer
- Marborg Industries collects and composts horse waste. Call Marborg at 963-1052 to arrange for a dumpster at your stable.
- Use material to fertilize pastures but please not just before, or during, a rainstorm.
- Transport the material to topsoil companies or composting centers.
- Donate it to local nurseries or botanic gardens.
SOURCE: Clean Creeks Health Beaches of the City of Santa Barbara
FUN TIP: Get organized, go green, and look hip with biodegradable pet poop bags and a cool bag carrier.