The Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History Mission Canyon Campus and Sea Center offer school groups unique learning experiences through various activities designed to meet specific educational goals. Students are encouraged to develop keen observation skills, to generate questions, and to construct a personal understanding of the natural world. School programs are aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards and support the Common Core. Reservations are required for all programs.
(Registration begins August 19, 2016 for the 2016-2017 school year):
Sea Center Field trips start September 6, 2016
Museum Field trips start October 5, 2016
Museum Mission Canyon Campus
To inquire or register for a Museum
program, please fill out the registration
Travis King, School and
Teacher Services Specialist
805-682-4711 ext. 108 or
- Programs run Tuesday-Friday
- Astrono-Mondays offered for 5th/6th grade
- Arrival time is 9:30AM
- Programs run 10:00AM-Noon
Sea Center Campus
To inquire or register for a Sea Center
program, please contact:
Steve Keller, School and
Teacher Services Coordinator Sea Center
805-962-2526 ext. 108 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Programs run Monday-Friday
- Arrival time is 9:30AM
- Programs run 10:00 AM-Noon
- Includes one hour Sea Center tour combined with grade-level Outdoor Nature Exploration on the beach.
Field Trip Programs: To view all grade specific programs at each site, please refer to the School Program Guide.
Each class must choose from two of the following one hour school programs when booking a field trip:
- Museum or Sea Center Interactive Tour (Offered at Sea Center and Museum)
- Discovery Lab (Museum only)
- Outdoor Nature Exploration (Offered at Sea Center and Museum)
- Planetarium (maximum capacity, 44) (Museum only)
Fees, Terms & Conditions
- All field trips run for 2 hours, with a fee of $100 per class.
- Once booked, date change requests will be answered in the order in which they received. Please have your dates confirmed with your colleagues and grade level team before booking your trip.
- Payment must be received two weeks prior to visit in order to secure reservation.
- Per class fee includes 1 free adult for every 5 students. Additional adults must pay.
- Additional Adults $8 per adult at the Museum, $6.50 per adult at the Sea Center.
Arrival and Departure
- Buses must plan on arriving 30 minutes early. This prevents traffic delays and gives students a chance to use the restrooms before starting their visit.
- Buses will pick up students in front of the Museum or Sea Center at 12:30PM.