Scientific Imaging Specialist
Lucie Gimmel began work at SBMNH in 2017, specializing in macro photography. Gimmel graduated from the Forestry School in Hranice in the Czech Republic and studied natural history with an emphasis on education at the Palacky University in Olomouc, Czech Republic. She has vast experience working in various natural history collections, including botanical, molluscan, and entomological collections. Her biggest passion is capturing natural history specimens using various imaging techniques to show people the beauty of patterns, colors, and textures hidden in everyday natural objects. View a selection of her work here.
- Macro photography: Canon EOS 7D DSLR using Z-stacking, Zeiss SteREO Discovery.V20 motorized stereo microscope
- Scanning electron microscopy: Zeiss EVO 40
- Light microscopy
- Line drawings
- Macro photographs of various invertebrates for long term exhibit in renovated Santa Barbara Gallery. 2018. Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History.
- Macro photographs of local insects for “Bugs...Outside the Box” Summer Exhibit. 2017. Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Fleischmann Auditorium.
- Z-stack photographs of local insects displayed at Annual Mission Creek Gala, Bugclub. 2017. Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History.
Selected Publications with Lucie Gimmel’s Work
- Mayor, Adriean J. & Matthew L. Gimmel. In press. Revision of the soft-winged flower beetles of the genus Asydates Casey, 1895 (Coleoptera: Melyridae: Dasytinae: Listrini). The Coleopterists Bulletin, Monograph Series.
- Gimmel, M.L., M. Bocakova, N.L. Gunter and R.A.B. Leschen. 2019. Comprehensive phylogeny of the Cleroidea (Coleoptera: Cucujiformia). Systematic Entomology, 44: 527–558.
- Mayor, A.J. & M.L. Gimmel. 2019. On the North American species of Dolichosoma and Psilothrix (Coleoptera: Melyridae: Dasytinae: Dasytini). The Coleopterists Bulletin, 73(2): 395–407.
- Kundrata, R., S.M. Blank, A.S. Prosvirov, E. Sormova, M.L. Gimmel, D. Vondracek and K. Kramp. 2019. One less mystery in Coleoptera systematics: the position of Cydistinae (Elateriformia incertae sedis) resolved by multigene phylogenetic analysis. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, XX: 1–19 (early view).
- Gimmel, Matthew L., M. Andrew Johnston & O. Merkl. 2018. Enneboeus marmoratus Champion new to the USA, with a world catalog of the family Archeocrypticidae (Coleoptera: Tenebrionoidea). The Coleopterists Bulletin 72(2): 269-278.
- Gimmel, Matthew L. 2017. Taxonomic notes on Olibroporus Casey and Pycinus Guillebeau, with diagnosis and distribution of the widespread species Olibroporus punctatus Casey (Coleoptera: Phalacridae). The Coleopterists Bulletin 71(1): 61-73.
Mason, Dave. “A bug’s life.” Santa Barbara News Press. 21 May 2017.
Department of Invertebrate Zoology
Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
2559 Puesta del Sol
Santa Barbara, CA 93105